Voortman Egg Ranch History
In late 1951, Edward Voortman grew tired of the cold midwest winters, so he took his wife Gertrude, eight-year-old daughter and new born son, to Southern California to do what he enjoyed most: poultry.
They settled in Bellflower, CA with a small 5,000 chicken ranch. They grew to 10,000 birds by using another local ranch. Business was good until the 91 Freeway took their property and they were forced to move in 1963.
In 1963, Chino was a wide open space for the Voortman’s to grow a business and raise a family.
The property on Grove Ave was purchased and a chicken building and home was soon built. By 1975, two more buildings were constructed but Edward’s health led him to retire and move off the ranch.
Son, Edwin, bought the ranch and moved in with his wife and first daughter in 1975. Three more children were born and together, the family was able to manage the ranch.
Business continued to grow and employees were hired to help with the workload.
In 1988, the decision was made to expand the business not only producing eggs, but also processing and distributing at both the retail and wholesale levels.
In 2003, Eddie, the third generation Voortman, became a partner with his dad. Eddie, Brook and their growing family moved on the ranch and continued to grow the business.
In 2014, we changed our facilities to be cage-free and automated. All three of our barns house healthy and happy chickens.
In 2018, Eddie and Brook Voortman bought the ranch from Eddie’s father and became the third generation owners.
Early in 2019, our birds tested positive for Newcastle Disease. After depopulating our barns, we sat empty for 120 days and have been restocking ever since. As of February 2020, our barns are fully restocked.